Lead all aspects of product development from concept and initial prototyping through commercialization by applying advanced engineering skills, cross-functional collaboration, and design control principles.
- Research, develop, design, and evaluate mechanical and electro-mechanical medical device designs to satisfy clinical requirements.
- Engage directly with surgeon customers to assess product performance, gain insights and implement refinements.
- Ability to understand customer unmet needs and translate into product requirements.
- Perform rapid prototyping and feasibility studies to refine and verify design and functionality.
- Design complex components and assemblies capable of achieving overall device performance specifications, regulatory and manufacturing requirements.
- Develop analytical models and design of experiments to study, evaluate, or investigate designs.
- Assess, write, and submit intellectual property to support innovative product design implementations.
- Provide technical and project direction to cross-functional team members.
- Support quality investigations into product lines, identify design issues, and implement design improvements.
- Perform design verification and production transfer.
This role requires:
- Advanced product design skills.
- Advanced skills in customer engagement, identifying customer needs and preferences.
- Knowledge of trends in surgical products, and latest ophthalmic and surgical market trends.
- Expert knowledge of mechanical and electromechanical design, manufacturing, processes, and trends.
- Expert knowledge of cross-functional product development in medical device or related fields.
- Deep technical expertise in all aspects of technology and engineering related to electromechanical devices.
- Deep understanding of current and upcoming technologies and trends in consumer electronics.
- Up-to-date understanding of general trends in technology, informatics, medicine, healthcare, government, and environment.
- Advanced negotiations and influence skills.
- Working knowledge of healthcare regulatory requirements and best practice implementation.
- Advanced leadership skills or potential.
The training and educational qualifications for this role include:
- Advanced degree in a relevant engineering or technology field, PhD preferred